Important Update: October 9, 2020
As per the directive announced by Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williamson on Friday, October 9, the Taggart Family Y fitness centre will be closed as of October 10, 2020. We will remain closed for a minimum of 28 days, or until we have been given permission to reopen safely.
Despite this disappointing news, we support doing everything we can to keep our community healthy and members, clients, staff, and volunteers, safe. All Y memberships that had been reactivated will once again be placed on hold, effective October 10, 2020. If you have questions about your Y membership, or need more information, please contact our Membership Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 343-804-0720.
Other ways to keep active and healthy during these challenging times
Please visit the following two resources for free online resources:
We will continue to send updates via email, and will post updates on our website as well as social media.
Phase 1 – Starts September 8, 2020 Temporarily Closed
Reopening Health, Fitness & Aquatics
We know you are really excited to get back to your fitness routine, and we are excited to see you! We are preparing to reopen our health, fitness and aquatics operations in a phased approach, one facility at a time, with gradual increase of services being offered. Like with the Province's COVID-19 strategy, only once we have been successful in each phase will we move on to the next.
Phase 1 – Starts September 8, 2020
- Taggart Family Y will be the first and only centre to open in Phase 1.
Opening date: September 8, 2020
- Hours will be 7AM-7PM Monday to Friday, 8AM-3PM Saturday, closed Sunday. (we will close for cleaning daily from Monday-Friday between 1:55PM-2:55PM)
- We will only welcome adult Y members 16Y and older in Phase 1.
- Access will be restricted to Y members only (no day pass users will be allowed).
- Open areas in facility (with limited capacities): the conditioning floor, a limited number of group fitness classes, and access to the general change rooms (PLUS change rooms will not open). All other areas will remain closed.
- There will be no charge to members for the first week of reopening. Those members not ready to return can choose to remain on hold until January 1, 2021 with no fees/charges.
Further phases will include opening of more facilities, more services and increasing opening hours. The timing and content of these phases is dependent upon the success of Phase 1, and any changes in direction from Ottawa Public Health or the Ontario Government.
Safety measures and new protocols
- All staff, volunteers, and members will be screened on entry.
- Plexiglas dividers will be in place at all customer service desks.
- Face masks are mandatory in all areas until such times as you are exercising.
- Members and staff must practice good physical distancing and remain 2 meters apart from others.
- Members should come ready to exercise. There are no showers available and only limited lockers.
- Please bring your own personal yoga mat if needed.
- Sanitization stations will be available throughout our buildings.
- Cleaning and sanitizing protocols have been greatly increased. We will close for an hour each weekday in the afternoon for a full sanitization.
- A new booking system will cap the number of members per activity in the Y at a given time. Activities will be bookable seven days in advance. (see below)
Booking your visit to the Y
To ensure that maximum numbers are not exceeded, and to keep services accessible to as many people as possible, we have introduced a new booking system. To take part in group fitness classes or access the conditioning floor, you must first book a session.
Each session - maximum 1 per day - is 75 minutes long and available to book up to 7 days in advance. If you have booked a session and cannot make it, please cancel it through the online booking portal, or call 343-804-0720 to let us know. This allows us to make the space available for another member.
Here's how to book:
- If you don't already have one, first set up your online Y account. View step by step instructions on
setting up your Y account. If you are having trouble setting up your account, please contact us at
- Log into your Y account. Once there, you will see a "make a booking" section
at the top of the page. Follow the instructions, or view step by step instructions on using the booking tool (PDF).
If you aren't able to book online, you can also book via phone with our Membership Services Centre at 343-804-0720, or in person.
Please be sure to read our reopening emails for the most up to date information. You can either join our mailing list, or click the links below:
- August 19, 2020 (PDF)
- August 31, 2020 (PDF)
- September 5, 2020 (PDF)
- September 14, 2020 (PDF)
- October 23, 2020 (PDF)
Health, Fitness & Aquatics FAQs
Please read below and if you need more assistance, contact us at email@example.com
1. What health and safety measures are being put in place in your centres?
Nothing is more important than the health and safety or our members, participants, volunteers, and staff. We are following all regulations and guidelines from our government and public health officials to reduce the spread of COVID-19. We have enhanced cleaning and hygiene practices and are implementing new safety measures to promote physical distancing:
- Where possible, fitness equipment has been spaced apart to 6 feet or greater. To accommodate distancing, some equipment may be temporarily unavailable for use.
- Group Fitness classes will be modified to limit the number of participants based on the size of the studio or room.
- We will limit the number of members in our centres at any given time. Members can book their time with us in advance.
- We have clear markings on the floor to indicate how far you will need to be from others at any given time, and signage throughout our buildings.
- In some facilities or spaces there may be directional flow for walking traffic.
Enhanced cleaning and hygiene:
- Staff members will be wearing protective equipment.
- All members will be required to wipe down equipment and workout spaces before and after use.
- Our Staff Team will be continuously sanitizing high touch surface areas and cleaning continuously throughout the day.
- Increased signage and sanitization stations to remind everyone to wash and sanitize their hands regularly.
- All staff, volunteers, and members will be screened on entry.
- We have a booking system in place to allow members to book their time with us, helping us to control and meet provincial regulations for capacity.
- Areas or equipment that don't allow for physical distancing will remain temporarily closed.
- Members will be asked to bring some of their own equipment, including yoga mats, towels, and reusable water bottles.
- We suggest that members arrive at the gym ready to work out as change rooms will have limited locker space and no showers in phase 1.
2. When and who will you be charging Y membership fees to?
For Phase 1, we offered the first week open at no charge, and then began reactivating Taggart Family Y members only, who are 16Y+ (unless otherwise directed by members). See below for details:
- September 8 - September 14, 2020: There was NO CHARGE for Y members 16Y+ to access the Taggart Family Y during our first week open (September 8-14). We encouraged adult Y members to take part in group fitness classes and work out on the conditioning floor at no cost so you could determine if you felt comfortable coming back.
- September 15, 2020: Starting September 15, we will reactivate all 16Y+ Taggart Family Y members (those who list the Taggart Y as their "home" branch). For these members, monthly fees will resume. When we reactivate your membership fees, we will first use up any credit on your account from when we closed due to COVID-19 in March. We will only start charging again once this credit has been used up. We will not reactivate family memberships or child and youth memberships. We will also not reactivate any members with other Y centers listed as their "home" branch.
- After September 15, Y members have a few options:
1. If you are a 16Y+ Y member with a different "home" branch, but would like to access the Taggart Y during Phase 1, simply come in and your membership will be reactivated upon swiping your membership card.
2. If you are a 16Y+ Y Taggart Family Y member and are not yet ready to return to the Y, we are happy to keep your membership on hold with no charges or fees until January 1, 2021. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. If you are an adult Y member over 16Y, and part of a family membership, we can temporarily change your membership type to adult. Please contact us at email@example.com to set up your new membership type.
3. How do I make sure that I receive communications and newsletters from the Y?
If you are a Y member and you haven't heard from us over email, we may not have your email address, or sometimes emails may end up in your Junk Mail. Please be sure to check and mark us as a safe sender. You can also sign up to receive our email updates.
For those that prefer, our updates are always shared on our website and on social media, as well.
4. Where does the Y get health and safety guidance from?
Our Ys comply with all directives from our provincial and local public health authorities across the regions that we serve.
5. What programs, services and amenities can I access?
We have carefully modified programs, amenities and protocols to meet provincial and local health guidelines. In Phase 1, the following programs and services at the Taggart Family Y are available:
- Conditioning floor
- Limited group fitness classes
- Access to general change rooms and bathrooms. Showers will not be available and PLUS change rooms will not be open.
- Only open to adults 16Y+, and only open to Y members in Phase 1
After a successful reopening in Phase 1, we will expand services and open other facilities in subsequent phases. Dates will be determined based on the success in Phase 1.
6. Will I have to undergo a health screening to enter the facility?
Yes. All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be asked to complete a COVID-19 health screening before entering the facility.
7. Will I have to book an appointment prior to coming to the Y?
To ensure physical distancing measures, we are required to limit the number of people in our facility, and in each area, to comply with capacity requirements. We suggest members use our online booking system to pre-book a time slot for their visit.This is not mandatory, however if the facility is full and you don’t have a reservation, you may have to wait.
8. Will I have to wear a mask while in the Y?
As per current Ottawa Public Health requirements, you must wear a mask upon entry to the facility and in common areas, such a change rooms and bathrooms. According to health guidelines, you are not required to wear a mask while swimming, during high intensity fitness classes, or while using cardio equipment. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask may do so.
9. Will the hours of operation be the same when you reopen?
We will be modifying our hours of operation when we reopen in Phase 1:
Monday to Friday: 7AM-7PM (closing daily from 1:55PM-2:55PM for cleaning)